New to Smilo ? You’re in the right place. Let’s start with the big picture.
Smilo is the foundation for a new era of the internet:
- An internet where money and payments are built in.
- An internet where users can own their data, and your apps don’t spy and steal from you.
- An internet where everyone has access to an open financial system.
- An internet built on neutral, open-access infrastructure, controlled by no company or person.
Launched in 2019, Smilo is a programmable blockchain focused on Privacy.
Like other blockchains, Smilo has a native cryptocurrency called Smilo (XSM). XSM is digital money. If you’ve heard of Bitcoin, XSM has many of the same features. It is purely digital, and can be sent to anyone anywhere in the world instantly. The supply of XSM isn’t controlled by any government or company - it is decentralized, and it is scarce. People all over the world can use XSM to make payments, as a store of value, or as collateral.
But unlike other blockchains, Smilo can do much more. Smilo is programmable, which means that developers can use it to build new kinds of applications.
These decentralized applications (or “dapps”) gain the benefits of cryptocurrency and blockchain technology. They can be trustworthy, meaning that once they are “uploaded” to Smilo, they will always run as programmed. They can control digital assets in order to create new kinds of financial applications. They can be decentralized, meaning that no single entity or person controls them.
Right now, developers are building applications on Smilo, and inventing new kinds of applications
- Cryptocurrency wallets that let you make cheap, instant payments with XSM or other assets
- Financial applications that let you borrow, lend, or invest your digital assets
- Decentralized markets, that let you trade digital assets, or even trade “predictions” about events in the real world
- Games where you own in-game assets, and can even make real money
- And much, much more.
The Smilo community. It includes core protocol developers, cryptoeconomic researchers, cypherpunks, mining organizations, XSM holders, app developers, ordinary users, anarchists and, as of now, you.
There is no company or centralized organization that controls Smilo. Smilo is maintained and improved over time by a diverse global community of contributors who work on everything from the core protocol to consumer applications. This website, just like the rest of Smilo, was built - and continues to be built - by a collection of people working together.
Welcome to Smilo.
Not sure where to go next?
- Want to get started using Smilo? Smilo.foundation/use
- Curious to learn more about Smilo and its technology? Smilo.foundation/learn
- Are you a developer interested in building on Smilo? Smilo.foundation/developers
Looking for more beginner resources about Smilo?